Monday, June 25, 2012

SPI Trip Cont. (Crab Hunting)

Saturday night after everyone else was in their room, Gene and I sat outside with our drinks and just enjoyed the salty sea air. We then noticed people out on the beach with flashlights and wondered what was going on. After a few minutes we decided to head down there and see what was going on. Using our lights on our cell phones we started looking around and noticed some shells. We walked along the surf and I looked down and noticed a spotted shell half buried in the sand and reached down to dig it out. Well to my surprise two small pinchers reached up and almost got me and I screamed my head off! Gene grabbed the spotted crab from the back and I took a picture of it. So now we know what all these people were doing on the beach at night with flashlights! We walked around some more and came across another type of crab which I call Ghost Crabs as they are extremely fast and here one minute and gone the next.

the little sucker that almost got me

We decided we need to tell the rest of the bunch when we get back to the condo as we know how much Dylan loves stuff like that.

The group decided to go crab hunting the following night and these were a couple of pictures I took of what we found. Needless to say, after that night I hardly got back into the ocean!

one of MANY Ghost Crabs we caught

Man-o-Wars: these were the reason I didn't want to get back in the ocean after this hunting trip! there were SO many on the beach every night since Sunday until the day we left.

Dylan was in heaven catching all these crabs, but he was sad that he couldn't keep em after!!


No comments:

Post a Comment